Sunday, July 19, 2009

So Somebody Asks You for Money as You Get Off the Highway

A small group of folks decided to come together and participate in a summer book club. They are currently reading "Justice in the 'burbs" by Will and Lisa Samson, and have been discussing ways to follow Christ and live out the Biblical call of justice whilst residing in the suburbs of Tampa. Here is how one member, Brenda, envisioned ministering to those who daily stand near the highway on and off ramps, often asking for money.

"I have put together some bags to give away when I see someone who's homeless. Too often I have wrestled with the idea of giving money to someone who might, in my mind, make bad choices with the money. I wondered if there was another way I could help. So, I got some food items that don't need refrigeration and put them in gallon plastic bags. I keep them in my car, so when I see someone, I can give it to them. If they are hungry, then their needs are met. I think we all wrestle with a judgmental attitude, and this helps me remember that Jesus said "When you do this to the least of these, you do it to me". I'll take those words as my call from the Lord and let Him work in the lives of the others."

No comments: